After surveying several brands available in the market we’ve narrowed down the list to the ones that worked well for us. Top on our list is the OMORC Air Fryer XL 6QT which is the best air fryer.
- 1 Air Fryers: Our Top Picks
- 2 Best Air Fryer Review
- 2.1 Overall Best – OMORC Air Fryer XL 6QT
- 2.2 Budget Pick – ENKLOV Electric Air Fryer
- 2.3 Best Value – GoWISE USA 12.7-Quarts Air Fryer
- 2.4 Best Philips Viva Airfryer – Philips HD9621/96 Viva Airfryer
- 2.5 Best Small Air Fryer – COSORI Air Fryer
- 2.6 Best Dash Air Fryer – Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer
- 2.7 Best Digital Air Fryer – Bagotte 3.7QT Air Fryer
- 2.8 Best 5.3 QT Air Fryer – Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer
- 3 Best Air Fryers Comparison Table
- 4 Buyers Guide: Best Air Fryers
- 5 FAQS: Air Fryers
- 5.1 How does an air fryer work?
- 5.2 How healthy is an air fryer?
- 5.3 Do you need oil when using an air fryer?
- 5.4 Will food from an air fryer taste exactly the same as deep fried foods?
- 5.5 Can we use baking paper or aluminum foil in an air fryer?
- 5.6 Is it necessary to shake the basket while cooking?
- 5.7 Do I have to pause the air fryer while checking on the food?
- 5.8 Apart from it being a healthy cooking option what other advantages does an air fryer have?
- 6 Final Words
Air Fryers are all the rage these days with companies extolling the health benefits of using these appliances.
If you love all things fried but have been warned about the health hazards of adding too much oil to your diet, then an air fryer is definitely the way to go.
However, with so many varieties available today, zeroing in on the best one for you can be a tad difficult.
Several factors like performance, safety, price and capacity were taken into consideration for this list of best air fryers (we recently published a complete review of the NuWave air fryer).
Here are our top picks.
Air Fryers: Our Top Picks
Best Air Fryer Review
Overall Best – OMORC Air Fryer XL 6QT
The 6 Qt Air Fryer from OMORC makes it to the top of our list of air fryers because of the great features that it has. This easy to use air fryer comes with a 2-year warranty and 8-15 Presets which makes cooking so much easier.
Whether it’s chicken, steak, fish, fries, rib, shrimp or cake, this air fryer will give you that crispy texture without compromising on your health.
The rapid hot air circulation technology that the air fryer uses for cooking, allows you to use 85% less fat to get the same taste and texture as deep fried foods. In addition to that, you can also use it for dehydrating foods.
For dehydrating foods, you need to set the right time and temperature. Both are specified in the user manual for ease. We feel the manual should have been more detailed.
The 1 Knob & Touch Control feature makes controlling this air fryer easy. It somewhat does away with multiple buttons which can sometimes be very confusing especially for seniors.
All you need to do is rotate the multifunctional knob to adjust the temperature and time and press to start. You can also choose the preset of your choice using the same method.
Features We Love
- The user friendly design that makes cooking hassle free.
- 1 Knob & Touch Control
- 8-15 Preset Programs
- No heavy oily smell in the house
- The Auto-Shut Off feature for additional safety.
- Efficient and easy to clean
- The 1 Knob & Touch control makes it user friendly and extremely easy to use.
- A detailed recipe book to help with your cooking.
- The large size of the basket ensures you can cook a sufficient amount for a family meal.
- The manual could be more detailed with better explanations.
The material used like the twice thicker stainless-steel parts make the air fryer 100% safe and toxin free. There’s an Auto Shut-Off feature adds to the safety of this appliance as it will ensure that the fryer does not overheat.
Once the timer goes off and the beeping stops, the appliance will shut off automatically.
It’s also dishwasher safe and the nonstick fry basket and pot are easy to clean.
Equipped with a cool touch handle, a button guard prevents the accidental detachment of the fry basket, enhancing the safety features of this product.
The 6 Qtr. size is ideal for a growing family of 5-8 people. The large sized basket can hold a whole chicken with veggies around.
A free detailed recipe book will give you some great ideas for a good family meal.
Budget Pick – ENKLOV Electric Air Fryer
If you’re looking for an efficient air fryer that will not drill a hole in your pocket, we suggest checking out the ENKLOV Electric Air Fryer.
This budget-friendly air fryer will sit comfortably in a corner of your kitchen counter as it is not bulky.
Like most of the air fryers in the market, the ENKLOV 8 in 1 has some great features. The 8 preset options allow you to select a variety of cooking options to make your time in the kitchen simpler.
If you don’t want to use the preset options you can set the time and temperature manually on the digital touch screen. Besides air frying you can also roast, toast, reheat, bake, grill and dehydrate foods with this handy appliance.
Once cooking is done, the fryer will shut off automatically.
The innovative Cold-Hot Air Circulation Technology on this model will ensure that your food stays moist and juicy on the inside while it’s crispy on the outside.
There is double ventilation that allows circulation of fresh air into the machine and expulsion of the fumes from the cooking. This constant circulation of hot and cold air prevents your food from being dry or burned.
Features We Love
- The patented cold-hot air circulation technology which gives you crispy food with a juicy interior.
- The compact size of the air fryer
- Detachable parts to make cleaning easier.
- 8 Preset options to make cooking simpler
- Automatic shut off when cooking is done
- Dishwasher safe non-stick frying basket
- Recipe book to help you get started.
- The buttons can be a little difficult to understand so it’s not very user friendly.
- Great for single batch items but the preheat option can be a tad annoying when you’re trying to make multiple batches of something.
Although the air fryer may look a little small, the 5.5 quart basket is more than sufficient to cook a healthy wholesome meal for the family.
The efficiency of the air fryer will ensure that you knock off at least 85% of fat from your diet, which is a sure-shot way to lose weight while still enjoying your favorite foods.
The detachable nonstick drawer and frying basket make cleaning a lot simpler. These are dishwasher safe and easy to clean as the nonstick material will not allow food stuff to stick to the surface.
A user manual and a recipe book will help you operate the appliance with no hassles.
The air fryer also comes with a 12 month warranty and 24/7 customer support should you encounter any issues.
Best Value – GoWISE USA 12.7-Quarts Air Fryer
This fairly recent model from GoWISE is a value edition to any family as it allows you to get rid of the bulky oven.
Although it is much bigger than the average air fryer, this air fryer-cum oven is still compact enough to fit on your kitchen countertop.
We think this is the best value air fryer is because there is so much you can prepare in it when compared to some other air fryers.
There are 3 rack levels which allows allow you to prepare family-sized meals while the 15 presets which are fairly simple to set from the control display, will take the guess work out of cooking times.
It also has a wide temperature range of between 120F-430F which is also ideal for baking.
Like a regular oven, this air fryer oven has a built in light that allows you to check on the food that is cooking without having to interrupt the cooking cycle. A built in Rotisserie will add to the pleasure of cooking with this appliance.
Features We Love
- The unit is versatile, thanks to its functions and features.
- It sports 10 accessories that come along with it.
- There’s a 3 piece air fryer oven accessory set which includes a 6 quart air fryer basket, 8 inch baking tray and toasting rack.
- The simple to use control display with 15 presets.
- Comes with 3 accessories for the air fryer oven plus 10 other accessories like the rotisserie rod, tongs, oven rack, drip pan, rotisserie steak cage, skewer rotisserie, shallow mesh basket and 2 mesh trays.
- Has a dual function of being an oven and an air fryer.
- Easy to clean stainless steel interior and removable nonstick drip pan.
- 50 step-by-step recipes to get you started on some tasty meals.
- A tad pricier than other models.
Crispy tender meats, beautifully roasted vegetables and blackened fish will be done in a jiffy with this great addition. You can also prepare a whole chicken, racks of kebabs and whole roasts up to 5 pounds.
The great thing about the GoWise Electric Air fryer is that it gives you a variety of cooking options to choose from.
Many of which are absent in the traditional air fryer. The rotisserie and the additional rotisserie accessories will have you serving mouthwatering roasts.
Also, the three levels of this air fryer allow you to oversee the various steps of your cooking ensuring that you whip up a delicious meal every time.
Best Philips Viva Airfryer – Philips HD9621/96 Viva Airfryer
Philips is well known for its electrical appliances so it is no surprise that it is a leader in the air fryers market.
With its constantly evolving designs and technology, Philips continues to upgrade its products to churn out the best. We think that one of the best Philips Viva Air fryers is the Philips HD9621/96 because of the advanced technology it uses.
A bit pricey, no doubt, but there are valid reasons for this.
This Airfryer has the advanced patented TurboStar technology which allows for more even cooking, making the food crispy with a juicy center.
Due to the constant circulating heat which all the food is exposed to, you don’t need to use more than a tablespoon of oil to cook your favorite dish.
Don’t worry about your food being undercooked because this technology ensures that you don’t need to turn the food to get that even cook even if it is piled up.
The TurboStar technology also cancels out the option of having to preheat and the Airfryer becomes hot instantly.
Features We Love
- No preheating necessary which saves time when cooking multiple batches.
- The easy click removable handle.
- TurboStar technology to cook food evenly
- The quick clean basket with the removable mesh for easy cleaning.
- Evenly cooked food because of the advanced TurboStar technology.
- Also, there’s the unique starfish air circulation design on the basket allows food to cook evenly.
- Easy to clean as the basket comes completely apart. It is also dishwasher safe.
- Cooking is arguably faster because of the no-preheating feature.
- The temperature increase is very limited increasing by only 25ºF at a time.
- The capacity is quite small considering its price.
The mesh bottom and wide trough around the inner basket allows greater airflow which evenly and quickly heats the food. You can use the appliance to air fry, grill, roast and even bake.
One of the downsides of the product is that it doesn’t come with many accessories and the cover of the box may fool you into thinking that it does. Also, like we mentioned earlier, it’s alarmingly expensive.
Although the unit doesn’t come with much documentation there is plenty online that will keep you busy.
There are plenty of forums, multiple cookbooks and a phone app that will help you get the best out of this air fryer.
Best Small Air Fryer – COSORI Air Fryer
If you’ve ever felt bad for not taking a small air fryer along with you for camping, worry no more – this small air fryer is the answer to your prayers.
For an air fryer this compact, the Cosori Air Fryer does pack a punch. It comes with a few features that are in tandem with its size. They include the 11 quicj preset options.
The eleven presets that you have the option of using with a single touch will help you serve up roasted veggies, desserts, impressive sides, bakes and just about any expertly cooked protein.
This air fryer has more preset options than most fryers in the market, making it one of the best small air fryers available.
The one touch LED panel is fairly simple to use and the preheating option helps improve the texture of the food you cook.
A great feature of the Cosori Air Fryer is the Shake reminder which tells you when it’s time to shake the contents for an even fry. It also has a Keep Warm function that will ensure your food does not become cold before serving.
Features We Love
- Compact square design.
- The black brushed stainless steel styled exterior makes it look like a high end product.
- Sports a handful of interesting features; Shake, Keep Warm, and Auto Shutoff functions.
- Recipe book with 100 well laid out air fryer recipes.
- 11 presets take the hassle out of trying to figure out the right temperature and timing for certain foods.
- Easy to clean non-stick surfaces.
- Although quite compact, the square design gives you more space inside.
- One touch LED which is easy to use.
- Unit switches easily between Fahrenheit and Celcius with a temperature range 170-400 F.
- Unique Shake Reminder
- Capacity is not big enough for more than 2 people.
- The cord and plug are quite short just about 40 inches from the unit to the plug.
The removable nonstick inner basket makes cleaning easy as the residue left is minimal. As for the basket, it is dishwasher safe so that cleaning up becomes easier for you.
A button and a slider make handling the basket easy. The button helps keep the basket in place so that the bottom doesn’t fall out when you take out the fries or anything else from the basket.
One of the best things we liked about this air fryer is the manual which is well laid out and easy to understand. Also, the square design which takes up much less space looks better and sits better on the shelf too.
The Cosori air fryer is also well packaged and comes in a box with a handle on top making it a good gifting option. It also has a 2 year warranty and a 90-day money back option.
Best Dash Air Fryer – Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer
The retro design on this air fryer from Dash makes it one of the best looking air fryers that are available today.
This retro looking appliance complete with a chrome finish is available in four color varieties – white, red, aqua and black providing you with the option of choosing what best suits your kitchen.
The air crisp technology that the Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer uses helps in reducing the fat intake by 70-80% without compromising on the taste.
It’s safe and easy to use and can be used to prepare a variety of foods like French fries, chicken wings, bakes, desserts and appetizers.
The 6 quart capacity is ideal for large families or for when you’re having guests over. There’s no rocket science involved when using this machine.
All you need to do is to load the fryer basket, set the temperature and the timer with a turn of the knob and wait for delicious crispy food.
It takes less time to cook your food in this air fryer than it takes to pre-heat your oven, making this an energy efficient appliance. This saves you a little money on energy bills and indirectly reduces cooking time.
Features We Love
- The stylish design available in a variety of colors.
- Compact and easy to use and store.
- Auto shut off feature.
- 6 quart capacity.
- The 6 quart capacity is great for a big family and for entertaining.
- It is very easy to use.
- Auto Shutoff function prevents overcooking.
- Cool touch housing and handle add to the safety.
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean nonstick fryer basket.
- A dehydrator would have been a good addition.
One of the reasons why we think that the Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer is great to have in your kitchen is the safety auto-shut off feature which will not only prevent food from being overcooked but will also ensure that the appliance does not overheat.
The detachable nonstick fryer basket is easy to clean and is also dishwasher safer. This air fryer from Dash comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty and also has a recipe book and recipe database access.
Best Digital Air Fryer – Bagotte 3.7QT Air Fryer
If you’re a small family of 1-3 people then this air fryer is perfect for you. It falls almost in the same category with the COSORI Air Fryer. Both fryers are geared towards single individuals and roommates who need an air fryer.
The Bagotte Air Fryer is highly rated, thanks to its digital touch controls. If you’re not a fan of control knobs, then you’ll be a fan of this digital control. Considering the fact that the controls are digital, a lot of people would have had to fiddle with the controls before getting to know how to use it.
Well, that’s not entirely true. The digital control buttons are easy to operate and they are also responsive to touch.
We think that this is one of the best digital air fryers because although it has a smaller capacity it still ticks all the boxes about what a good air fryer should be.
The high tech built-in touch screen menu with 6 cooking presets not only looks good but is also simple to use. These cooking presets make it easy for you to cook poultry, fries, fish, nuggets, steak and frozen fries.
A user’s manual will guide you towards getting the best out of your appliance.
There is also a recipe book which includes some of the most basic recipes to familiarize you with your appliance. Like most other air fryers, the Bagotte too can do multiple things like roasting, baking and grilling.
The nonstick detachable basket is easy to clean and also dishwasher safe.
Features We Love
- Non-stick detachable basket.
- Dishwasher safe parts.
- Comes with a recipe book.
- The white color and sleek design
- Easy to figure out touch screen menu
- Nice packaging that can be reused for storing the appliance when not in use.
- 6 Preset options to get you started
- Can also be used for heating leftovers.
- Some parts are dishwasher safe.
- You can also bake, roast, and grill with this air fryer. However, for best results, use an oven or a grill to do those tasks.
- The beep of the timer is audible enough to disturb the silence of the house.
Timing and temperature on the Bagotte Air Fryer can be adjusted to your preference. The temperature range is between 180ºF to 380ºF with a time setting range from 1 min to 60 mins.
Temperature adjusts in 5 degree increments so once you set it you can sit back and relax till you hear the loud beep.
We recommend using pre-cut parchment paper while cooking multiple items so that you don’t need to wash the basket every time but just at the end of your entire cooking session.
The Bagotte Air Fryer comes with a 1 year warranty and 24/7 customer service to address any issues.
Best 5.3 QT Air Fryer – Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer
This air fryer beats the others in its range because of the small perks that come with it.
Unlike a majority of the air fryers in the market, which make you buy accessories separately, the Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer comes with some bonus accessories of a barbecue grill and 4 skewers.
The capacity of the basket makes cooking a lot faster as you don’t have to do too many multiple batches. You may be able to even cook a small sized chicken in this air fryer.
The Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer uses the rapidly circulating hot air technology to seal in the flavors and moisture to give you the perfect fries, grills or bakes without using any extra oil.
Food can also be reheated in this air fryer.
We like the smudge resistant exterior. Cleaning is easy on it. Let’s not also fail to mention that the metal basket and pan are also removable and dishwasher safe.
The sturdy modern design is durable and will last you for a long time. The Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer is designed to complement any kitchen décor.
Features We Love
- The bonus of accessories that are provided with the fryer.
- Easy to use control knobs
- Keeps food warm for up to an hour by automatically switching to keep-warm mode after timer expires.
- Smudge resistant exterior.
- Some internal parts are dishwasher safe.
- Cleaning up is simple and parts are dishwasher safe
- It has a built in automatic shut off system that will automatically switch off when the timer is down to 0 or the pan is removed while cooking.
- The fryer comes with an extra barbecue grilling rack and 4 skewers.
- It Sports handy control knobs to set temperature and time.
- Turning the smooth textured knobs can be a chore if your hands are wet or oily.
Operating this appliance is fairly simple as all you need to do is to turn the knob to whatever temperature or timing you need to set.
However, there have been a few complaints about the knob being a bit too smooth which could be a little difficult to turn with wet or sweaty hands.
The intuitive and responsive controls can be used for setting temperatures between 180 degrees to 400 degrees with a 60 minute timer. Furthermore, the fryer will shut off automatically and switch to keep-warm mode when your cooking is done.
This air fryer comes with a 2-year warranty which is much more than most air fryer companies provide.
The accompanying manual and recipe book will help you get the most out of your appliance.
Best Air Fryers Comparison Table
|Name of Air Fryer||Brand||Size (Qt.)||Presets||Watts||Price|
|OMORC Air Fryer XL 6QT||OMORC||6||15||1800||$$|
|ENKLOV Electric Air Fryer||ENKLOV||5.5||8||1350||$|
|GoWISE USA 12.7-Quarts Air Fryer||GoWise||12.7||15||1600||$$$$$|
|Philips HD9621/96 Viva Airfryer||Philips||2.75||4||1425||$$$$$$|
|COSORI Air Fryer||COSORI||3.78||11||1500||$$|
|Dash Deluxe Electric Air Fryer||Dash||6||NA||1700||$$|
|Bagotte 3.7QT Air Fryer||Bagotte||3.7||6||1500||$$$$|
|Secura Electric Hot Air Fryer||Secura||5.3||NA||1700||$$$|
Buyers Guide: Best Air Fryers
An air fryer is a great appliance to have in your kitchen as it will definitely ensure that you eat a more healthy meal since you will use little to no cooking oil to prepare those crispy meals.
However, the number of air fryers that are available in the market will make it pretty difficult for you to zero in on the one that is ideal for you.
It’s always best to make a well-informed choice before you rush out to buy an expensive gadget that could end up doing nothing but occupying a lot of space on your counter or cupboard.
We’ve put together a few important pointers that you should bear in mind before making that new purchase.
Air fryers have a much smaller capacity than the traditional vessels that you use for deep frying so don’t get put off by that fact. Remember that you’re not going to be drowning your food items in oil so you don’t require a very deep vessel.
Air fryers come in different shapes and sizes so choose the size that suits your needs.
A 6 quart air fryer is ideal for a family of four to six people but if you have a smaller family then you should consider one of the smaller options.
However, a bigger capacity fryer is great to have if you entertain guests a lot. Bigger fryers also cook faster as overcrowding slows down cooking time by hampering the air flow.
A point to bear in mind is bigger the capacity, the larger the machine so you will need to consider your kitchen space when buying one.
Digital or Manual Timers
All air fryers are manufactured with timers to help you control your cooking time and are either digital or analog.
Analog timers are straightforward and easy to use but they do have a few drawbacks. Unlike the digital timers that pause when the food drawer is removed for shaking or rotating, a few analog timers will continue to tick.
Digital timers make it easy to keep track of time as the lit up screens are visible from afar. They are usually more accurate and also offer preset features.
Many air fryers are equipped with preset cooking programs that help you do away with the hassle of looking up temperature and timing for cooking certain food items.
Once you choose the program that you want, the time and temperature is automatically set with the push of a button.
However, if you’re only going to be using the air fryer for chicken and fries you probably won’t need an appliance with a whole range of settings.
More settings means a higher cost and possibly a smaller machine too!
Most air fryers are easy to clean by hand but if you prefer the dishwasher then you must make sure that the parts to be cleaned are safe to be used in the dishwasher.
Some parts like a grated grill or a mesh basket may not get cleaned properly in a dishwasher as food items tend to stick to them so the best option would be to manually clean these parts. Also, take note of foods that the manufacturer may have pointed out as being messy.
No one wants to be stuck with a new kitchen appliance sitting on the shelf because figuring out how to use it was too difficult. There are a few questions that you need to keep in mind to ensure a smooth functioning of your appliance.
- Can you see the markings for the temperature and timer clearly?
- Is it easy to remove the parts of the machine that need to be washed? Are they dishwasher safe?
- How difficult or easy is it to add or remove food from the lids or baskets?
- Does the appliance have an auto-shut off function and are the buttons on the dial easy to see and use?
Almost all the air fryers in the market are big on safety and have a host of safety features to ensure an accident free cooking experience. Some of the safety features to look out for are –
- A safety button to prevent the basket from falling when you remove the food.
- A cool touch handle to keep you from injuring yourself.
- An auto shut off function to prevent burning and overheating.
Cost and Warranty
One of the most important things to bear in mind is the cost of the appliance. Air fryers don’t come cheap and have a price range between $100 to as much as $300.
If you’re only going to be using the air fryer on occasion, consider buying something in the lower price range which will perform just as well as a more expensive unit.
Also, make sure that the appliance comes with a warranty as you don’t want to end up paying extra for a faulty unit.
FAQS: Air Fryers
How does an air fryer work?
An air fryer works on the concept of constantly surrounding the food with hot air instead of oil.
When you deep fry foods you need to drown them in oil but when you air fry, the foods need to be surrounded by hot air to cook evenly. A convection fan helps the hot air to circulate all over to give the food the crispy effect within a matter of a few minutes.
How healthy is an air fryer?
Manufacturers claim that an air fryer can cut down the fat content of fried foods by up to 80%. This is because air fryers do not use as much oil as the traditional fried foods.
Research has also found that an air fryer can significantly reduce formation of harmful compounds. This compound is associated with certain types of cancer.
Do you need oil when using an air fryer?
Oil is generally not needed but it can enhance the taste. The recommended quantity is half to one tablespoon of oil per 2.2 lbs of food – no more than that.
If using oil its best to apply it with a brush or spray to prevent the oil from dripping onto the base of the fryer.
Will food from an air fryer taste exactly the same as deep fried foods?
No, air fried food will not taste exactly the same as deep fried foods as the richness from the oil is absent.
Nor will it have the same crispiness. However, food prepared in an air fryer is more tender and crispier than what is prepared in a traditional oven and tastes better too.
Can we use baking paper or aluminum foil in an air fryer?
It’s perfectly okay to use baking paper or aluminum foil in the fryer but make sure that you leave enough space for the airflow.
Don’t cover the basket bottom completely as this will reduce airflow which will hamper the performance.
Avoid covering the bottom of the pan with baking paper or tin foil as this will also significantly affect the quality of your cooking.
Make sure that you have food on the foil or baking paper when you put it into the fryer as plain paper could get sucked into the heater and start to burn.
Is it necessary to shake the basket while cooking?
Yes you should shake quite often to prevent food from sticking to the basket and for even cooking, especially when you’re cooking smaller items like French fries or chicken wings.
You will need to pull the basket out of the appliance by the handle to shake it but do not press the basket release button during shaking.
For larger items it is a good idea to flip them over with a pair of silicone tongs.
Do I have to pause the air fryer while checking on the food?
Since you’re only going to spend a matter of seconds when checking on the food you do not need to pause the air fryer.
Most air fryers will pause automatically when you remove the basket and restart when you put it back in.
Apart from it being a healthy cooking option what other advantages does an air fryer have?
An air fryer is energy saving as cooking happens very quickly due to the small cavity that heats up quickly.
The constant flow of hot air also helps in cooking the food faster. Besides this, food cooked in an air fryer is generally tastier as it’s crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. You won’t have oil dripping all over your fingers.
After reading our extensive reviews and detailed information we hope that we’ve been able to guide you towards making the right choice.
While there can be no substitute for healthy eating, make sure that you don’t go overboard with the spending.