- 1 Deep Fryers: Our Top Picks
- 2 Best Deep Fryer Reviews
- 2.1 Overall Best Deep Fryer – Hamilton Beach 35034 Double Basket Deep Fryer
- 2.2 Budget Pick – Secura 1700-Watt Electric Deep Fryer
- 2.3 Best Value – T-Fal FR8000 Deep Fryer
- 2.4 Best Small Deep Fryer – Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer
- 2.5 Best Home Deep Fryer – Hamilton Beach (35033) Deep Fryer
- 2.6 Best Cuisinart Deep Fryer – Cuisinart CDF-170 Deep Fryer
- 2.7 Best Commercial Deep Fryer – Belovedkai Electric Deep Fryer
- 3 Deep Fryer Comparison Table
- 4 Deep Fryer Buying Guide: What You Ought To Know
- 5 Important Things To Note
- 6 Final Words
Many of us love fried food, but not all of us can fry food properly using a frying pan. The food either ends up getting burned or it just doesn’t cook well. If you belong to this class of people, a deep fryer is definitely the solution you need.
We reviewed 7 of these deep fryers and picked one as the overall best deep fryer. Which fryer satisfied our cravings?
Deep Fryers: Our Top Picks
Best Deep Fryer Reviews
Overall Best Deep Fryer – Hamilton Beach 35034 Double Basket Deep Fryer
The Hamilton Beach 35034 deep fryer is a class leader in the midst of other deep fryers. Don’t get me wrong – it’s not the most sophisticated deep fryer out there, but it gets the job done, and at a good price too.
Three things make it stand out. First, the price of the unit is definitely within the reach of a lot of people. Even if you’ve got your eyes on our budget pick, you’ll definitely think of buying this one.
Secondly, it is available in three different options each differentiated by the basket in them. The 3-basket model was our test unit and was pretty impressive, to say the least.
In terms of capacity, the fryer has a 12 cups food capacity. This is certainly not the largest in its class and is one of the things we don’t like about the product. Our budget pick product has a 17 cups food capacity – just imagine.
Hamilton, however, makes up for that with the basket options. The dual basket is very handy when you’re preparing a variety of dishes which are time conscious.
Chefs will appreciate this.
- 12 cups capacity.
- Very affordable.
- Available in three models with varying cooking baskets.
- Adjustable timer and temperature.
- The fryer is compact sized and won’t clutter your countertop.
- It has dual cooking ability, thanks to the two cooking basket on our test unit.
- Adjusting the temperature and the timer is as easy as ABC. The control knobs work flawlessly.
- The fryer is dishwasher safe.
- The 12 cup capacity is pretty small compared to the 17 cup capacity on the Secura Deep Fryer we reviewed below.
Other features of this deep fryer include an adjustable timer to regulate your cooking with timing. The timer comes with an audible tone notification which we don’t find annoying.
We once reviewed a microwave that had an audible tone that is loud enough to get you annoyed for some seconds. That’s by the way.
Quite surprisingly, we find it pleasing that to say that the Hamilton Beach 35034 deep fryer is dishwasher safe. This is truly commendable. Now you’re rest assured of a clean deep fryer ready for the next use.
Out of the box, the fryer is easy to assemble for your first use. Hamilton recommends going through the product manual before your first use – we do too.
There’s a viewing window on the lid of the fryer. This comes in handy when you want to check how well the items inside have been fried without opening the fryer.
And lastly, you’ll find the control knobs and the light indicators helpful.
Budget Pick – Secura 1700-Watt Electric Deep Fryer
You definitely want to save a dollar or two on this deep fryer purchase, don’t you? If your answer is yes, then the Secura Deep Fryer is probably what you need.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Secura Deep Fryer is that its compact sized. It is, however, a few inches larger than the Hamilton Beach 35034 fryer we reviewed above.
We like the silver color of the fryer – it will really blend well with most kitchens especially white kitchens. And in terms of weight, the fryer weighs just a little under 12 lbs.
Away from the physical features now, let’s talk about the functions and the interior.
There are a lot of things you can do with this deep fryer, thanks to the triple baskets it comes with. This allows you to be able to fry two different things at the same time. So, you can fry chips and chicken at the same time in the separate baskets.
- It comes with three baskets.
- You can cook more than two things at once.
- Lightweight, compact-sized and sports a great stainless finishing.
- Easy control knobs.
- 17-cup food capacity.
- The fryer is easy to use and clean.
- It comes with three baskets, two of which can be used for dual cooking.
- The price is definitely going to make you want to buy it.
- There’s an odor filter as well as a removable oil tank which makes cleaning easy.
- The basket handle is quite fragile.
For cooking large items, you can make use of the large single basket. This is especially good for making food in batches. With its 4.2 L oil tank, you’re rest assured the oil will be enough for what you’re cooking.
We like the oil tank. It is removable and easy to clean and is easy to replace after cleaning. Let’s not forget to mention that the unit comes with an extra odor filter.
The 17 cup food capacity of the unit is definitely impressive in contrast with the 12 cup of the Hamilton Beach fryer we reviewed above.
With regards to the controls, Secura equipped this deep fryer with knob controls as seen on the Hamilton Beach. It’s responsive to touch and controls your cooking nicely.
You can set timers for your cooking using the timer which can be set to 60 minutes intervals. The heating controls are adjust the temperature.
The energy required by the unit is pegged at 1700W, 100W shy of the Hamilton Beach’s wattage. It does heat up the oil quickly and raises the temperature as fast as possible when food is added to it.
Best Value – T-Fal FR8000 Deep Fryer
The T-Fal FR800 deep fryer is our pick for the most valuable deep fryer. Like the Hamilton Beach deep fryer, the T-Fal fryer is available in two different options, one with a single basket and the other with three baskets.
Given how common stainless steel exteriors are on deep fryers, we were not surprised to find that the fryer has a stainless steel exterior. The storage lid is also made of stainless steel.
As expected, one of the baskets is larger while the other two can fit side by side in the fryer. Of course, this makes it easy to fry more than one thing at once, thus saving you time.
The baskets are heat resistant and form part of the removable parts of the fryer which makes washing easy.
With respect to size, the fryer is a tad bigger than the Hamilton Beach fryer and the Secura fryer but that doesn’t mean it’s bulky.
Internally, the unit has the capacity to hold about 4 liters of oil. As for the cup capacity, it falls between 12 and 14 cups. This is pretty disappointing considering the fact that the Secura deep fryer has capacity for 17 cups.
Features We Love
- Stainless steel finishing.
- Capacity to hold 14 cups of food.
- Can hold 4 cups of oil.
- Dishwasher safe parts.
- Comes with three baskets.
- It is compact sized, and so will fit into small spaces on your kitchen’s countertop.
- Three baskets are available. You can use two to fry to different things simultaneously.
- The control buttons are easy to use and intuitive and respond appropriately to touch.
- Some of the internal parts of the fryer are detachable and are dishwasher safe.
- Emptying the fryer when the oil is still too hot can cause some of the parts to melt with time. This will then lead to malfunctioning.
With respect to the temperature, it’s on par with that of most deep fryers available in the market. In addition to that, the fryer sports a small bright power light which indicates that the fryer is on.
Furthermore, it comes with an oil ready light. The oil ready light is useful for knowing how hot the oil in the fryer is at a glance so you can add the food at the right time.
Cleaning the T-Fal deep fryer is much easier than expected, thanks to the detachable parts. Some of the detachable parts are dishwasher safe.
The T-Fal deep fryer has a wattage rating of 1800W, which is powerful enough to get the oil to the appropriate temperature in a matter of minutes.
Best Small Deep Fryer – Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Fryer
Small and portable deep fryers are a must have, especially if you’re single and you travel a lot to places where there’s no deep fryer.
The Presto 05420 deep fryer is arguably a perfect fit for the purpose mentioned above. This FryDaddy fryer measures only 8 x 8 x 7 inches and weighs a paltry 3lbs – it’ll barely be noticeable in your bag.
With respect to color, the black color of the unit is appealing. In fact, it’s a deviation from the silver colored fryers we’ve seen times without number.
The Presto 05420 deep fryer has no controls – it’s a bit surprising. However, it manages to get food fried properly and makes you wonder how the hell that was even possible.
It seems the fryer is designed to automatically maintain a regular frying temperature.
Features We Love
- Needs only 4 cups of oil.
- Uses a scoop in place of baskets.
- Lightweight and compact sized.
- Very affordable.
- The size and negligible weight of the fryer makes it easy to be transported from one place to another.
- It’s very affordable.
- The conventional baskets are replaced by a scoop which is used in turning the food as well as draining the oil when removing food from the fryer.
- Automatic temperature regulation system overrides control buttons which are absent on the fryer.
- There are no control buttons. This is not good especially if you want to control things like temperature for special foods.
- One compartment means you cannot fry two things at the same time.
The Presto 05420 deep fryer can hold 4 cups of oil which is enough to prepare about 4 big servings. This may be small for certain groups of persons. However, it’s what you get on a budget deep fryer like this.
You can store oil in the fryer when you’re done cooking or you can empty it out into an oil storage container.
Let’s not forget that the fryer comes with a scoop. The scoop replaces the conventional frying baskets. It’s perforated beneath and this drains the oil when you’re removing your food from the fryer.
In addition to that, the scoop comes in handy when you want to turn your food while cooking.
The interior is non-stick so you won’t have problems with cleaning. If you want to fry two things at the same time, you should opt for the DualDaddy Deep Fryer which is the older sibling of this FryDaddy.
Best Home Deep Fryer – Hamilton Beach (35033) Deep Fryer
If you have a small family and the Presto FryDaddy deep fryer doesn’t tickle your fancy, this Hamilton Beach 35033 deep fryer will.
It’s a close cousin to the Hamilton Beach 35034 deep fryer we picked as our overall best deep fryer. Although both deep fryers share some physical similarities, such as color, they belong to two different classes.
The Hamilton Beach 35033 deep fryer is small although it’s long rectangular shape makes it seem otherwise. It features a stainless steel finishing and the trademark silver color of most deep fryers.
Couldn’t they have offered it in red color like this Nostalgia microwave oven?
Internally, the fryer has a sizeable cooking space. It has the capacity to hold about 2.8 L of oil. This is significantly less than the oil which can be held by the Presto 05420 deep fryer which is less expensive than this one.
Well, the fact that it’s a tad expensive than its closest counterpart doesn’t stop people from buying it. That’s the benefit it gets for coming from a popular brand.
We recently reviewed the Hamilton Beach 37508 Rice Cooker. Take a look at it.
Features We Love
- 2.4l oil capacity.
- Compact sized.
- Stainless steel finishing.
- Digital timer with audible tone.
- Quick detaching power cord.
- The unit’s compact size allows it to fit into the smallest spaces on your countertop and still leave room for another appliance.
- It is fit for small families. The 2.4l oil capacity is what some families need.
- We like the digital timer and its audible tone which surprisingly, didn’t get on our nerves.
- The oil capacity is small compared to other deep fryers.
- It costs more than some of its counterparts.
The fryer is easy to use, no doubt, thanks to the control knob. It features adjustable digital timer; most deep fryers including the expensive ones lack a digital timer.
That’s not all. The digital timer is paired with an audible tone that notifies you when the time has elapsed. Was the timer annoying? No, it wasn’t. It’s somewhat audible only for people in the kitchen.
To the rear of the fryer, you’ll find the cord port. A slight draw of the cord detaches it successfully from the body of the deep fryer without moving the fryer itself.
This is important for safety in the kitchen to avoid oil spills. The cord itself stays in place while you’re cooking with the fryer.
In addition to that, the sides of the fryer are warm but not hot when cooking. This is common with most of the fryers we reviewed in this article.
While cooking, be rest assured that the unit will maintain the 350 degrees and above temperatures. Some deep fryers don’t live up to that expectation and this can affect cooking results.
Price wise, the unit isn’t encouraging, to say the least, considering that some fryers with its features are priced less.
Best Cuisinart Deep Fryer – Cuisinart CDF-170 Deep Fryer
The Cuisinart CDF 170 deep fryer is geared towards people who have an affinity for the Cuisinart brand.
This Cuisinart deep fryer is the only fryer we reviewed that is available in a variety of options. Cuisinart offers it in a 1.1 liter, 2 quart, and 3.4-quart sizes. Other available sizes include a 4 quart and a 5-liter capacity model.
Our review model is the 3.4 quart model which is an all-time favorite for a lot of people. With respect to the internal size of the unit, the Cuisinart CDF 170 fryer is small. However, we can’t complain one bit because there are a plethora of sizes to choose from.
The small interior is only able to hold about 1.73 lbs of food. It is therefore suitable for making fries in small batches. The fryer has a stainless steel exterior – and is only available in silver color.
It definitely blends well with most kitchens. However, more color options would have been an added bonus.
To the sides of the unit, you’ll find the handle which only gets warm when the fryer is in use. We recommend not moving the fryer when there’s hot oil in it to avoid burns.
Features We Love
- Compact sized.
- Stainless steel finishing with cool touch handle that doesn’t get hot when you’re cooking.
- 1800W of power.
- Sports a 60-minute timer.
- It is compact sized, easy to use, and definitely easy to move around.
- The unit sports a stainless steel finishing.
- It has a 60-watt timer.
- Available in a variety of sizes with the largest being the 5 liter model.
- The small size of the fryer makes frying large items a little stressful. You’d have to fry in batches to get great results and this can take up your time.
The controls on the unit are responsive and they channel the 1800 watts of energy to the immersion-style heater in the unit. There’s a 60 minute timer which comes in handy for keeping tab of time when cooking.
During the review, we noticed a temperature drop in the temperature of the oil although the temperature control was set to 375. Even though the food came out fine, the drop in temperature was worth mentioning.
You should get an external oil thermometer – a ball or a pin type so you can check the heat from time to time.
The basket can hold a great deal of food, but it can quickly mess up your food – like every other deep fryer – if you cramp food into it. Fry the food in small batches and they’ll come out fine.
Best Commercial Deep Fryer – Belovedkai Electric Deep Fryer
Last on our list is the Belovedkai Electric deep fryer. This deep fryer is meant for large families – more than 6 members – and restaurants that take a large number of orders daily.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Belovedkai deep fryer is its design. It does look like a giant deep fryer when set side by side with the other fryers we’ve reviewed in this article.
When we say it’s a giant, we are not exaggerating. This commercial deep fryer has a capacity of about 26L for the dual basket – each basket has a 13L capacity. That’s probably large enough for restaurants to meet their daily demand of fries.
Space-wise, the fryer requires a great deal of space. It measures about 22 x 14 x 19 inches and is heavier than two or three of the deep fryers we’ve reviewed combined together.
The Belovedkai Electric Deep Fryer is made from high quality stainless steel material with the exception of the handles on the lid and the basket which are both made from plastic.
There’s a striking similarity between this Belovedkai deep fryer and the KWS deep fryer. The latter is, however, more expensive and has more power requirements which can significantly jack up your energy bill by some dollars.
Features We Love
- Dual cooking tanks with 13L capacity each – 26L for both tanks.
- Sweet stainless steel finishing.
- Control buttons for both tanks.
- Cooking basket comes with an easy grip plastic handle.
- Oil drain for removing oil.
- Its large capacity makes it suitable for making fries and fried foods in large quantities.
- Each of the cooking tanks has its own control buttons and each has its own basket with an easy grip handle.
- The fryer has an oil drain in front of it which makes removing used oil easy.
- Innovative design allows you to take some parts of the fryer apart for cleaning. It’s still easy to assemble together.
- Considerably large and heavy although it’s not meant to be moved frequently especially since it’s designed for commercial use.
The Belovedkai deep fryer sports an oil drain in the shape of a tap in front of the unit. It makes sense putting something like that there considering its size.
However, we think the oil drain tap should have been put at the sides. Its current placement puts people who are cooking with it in danger if they mistakenly flip it while cooking, but, what do we know? They must have thought about that.
The fryer has a temperature control knob for each of the cooking tanks which houses a basket. Additionally, there’s also a timing function for each of the basket.
With the Belovedkai deep fryer, you’re free to cook anything you want without being scared of space.
Given, the fryer’s considerably large size, we weren’t surprised when we saw that the wattage is 3300W. It sure draws a lot of power but in return, it offers a ton of crisp looking fries for your consuming pleasure.
Depending on the electrical configuration of your kitchen, you may need two different outlets to plug it in. This prevents the fryer from blowing the circuit.
Deep Fryer Comparison Table
|Brand||Product Name||Watts||Capacity||Color||Price Range||Rating|
|Hamilton Beach||Hamilton Beach 35034 Double Basket Deep Fryer||1800||12L||13 x 8.12 x10.12 inches||$$$||4.8|
|Secura||Secura 1700-Watt Electric Deep Fryer||1700||17L||13.9 x 10.6 x 8.4-inch||$$||4.7|
|T-Fal||T-Fal FR8000 Deep Fryer||1700||14L||16.5 by 11.1 by 10.1 inches||$$$$||4..7|
|Presto||Presto 05420 FryDaddy Electric Deep Frye||1200||4L||10.83 by 11.22 by 10.83 inches||$||4.7|
|Hamilton Beach||Hamilton Beach (35033) Deep Fryer||1500||8L||8.5 by 7.67 by 6.33 inches||$$||4.6|
|Cuisinart||Cuisinart CDF-170 Deep Fryer||1800||4L||10.2 by 13.9 by 7.8 inches||$$||4.6|
|Belovedkai||Belovedkai Electric Deep Fryer||3300||26L||8.07 by 9.61 by 8.07 inches||$$$$$||4.7|
Deep Fryer Buying Guide: What You Ought To Know
Here are a list of things you need to have at the back of your mind now that your mind is set to buy a deep fryer.
Know The Types of Deep Fryers
There are arguably three main types of deep fryers available on the market.
- Electric Deep Fryer: Electric deep fryers are the most common deep fryers. All the fryers we reviewed in this piece all come under this category. They are available in different sizes with a vast majority of them being smaller. For people who like to fry large full sized turkeys or chickens, a large-sized deep fryer will do. You can also opt for a moderately sized microwave if you low to microwave your foods. With regards to price, most electric deep fryers are affordable. In fact, a bulk majority of them cust more than the 2nd generation of Echo Plus devices.
- Propane Deep Fryer: If you have the strength to deal with gas leaks as well as refilling and maintenance costs, then you can go for a propane deep fryer.
- Foods that are fried with a propane deep fryer appear to be crispier when compared to the ones fried with an electric deep fryer.
What’s your budget? How much are you willing to spend? Deep fryers aren’t expensive, the fact that they do a horde of kitchen cooking notwithstanding.
As earlier mentioned, it’s important to buy a deep fryer that will cater to your cooking needs. For instance, if you will fry a lot of snacks and small items, a small/medium sized deep fryer will do.
On the other hand, frying large chickens or turkey will require a large deep fryer. The size of your family can also influence the capacity of the deep fryer that you’ll buy.
To make frying much easier, most of the deep fryers come with a cooking basket. This basket helps you fry more than one thing at a time.
Statistics have shown that most cooking fires occur around Thanksgiving Day. Most people get so busy that they don’t check what they’re frying till it gets too hot.
When cooking oil gets too hot, it tends to explode, literally. Hence, it is important to be on the safe side and get a deep fryer with good security features.
The deep fryers on this review list all come with standard safety features. These standard security features include the automatic shutoff, a notification beep as well as a timer.
An automatic shut off feature, for instance, turns off the deep fryer when it reaches a certain hot temperature. The notification beep, on the other hand, tells you when the food is done.
As for the timer, it keeps helps you keep an eye on the food while you do something else. If you have little kids who have access to the kitchen at home, then you should get a deep fryer with a child lock feature.
Other important features worth having include
- An in-built thermostat which regulates the internal temperature of your deep fryer.
- A good drainage system that makes it easy to remove the oil after each use is important. Fortunately, most deep fryers have a good oil drainage system.
- Multiple baskets for cooking. We’ve mentioned this earlier.
- And lastly, a break off cord. Having an appliance with a break off cord can prevent accidents that occur when someone trips over the deep fryer’s cord.
Ease of Use
The ease of using a product is a very important selling point. If you were to read a driving instructions manual every time you enter your car, you will definitely sell the car and get a bicycle or moped that doesn’t require you to read a manual.
The same goes for a deep fryer. You need to consider things such as the control buttons position, responsiveness and if there are any quick buttons.
The higher the wattage of your deep fryer, the faster it heats up the food and the oil in it. You must, however, ensure that your deep fryer’s thermostat is working at all times.
For most home-use and budget deep fryers, a wattage of under 2000W is just enough. On the other hand, commercial grade deep fryers need more than that.
One cool feature you’ll find on most deep fryers is the dual cook feature. You can fry two different things at the same time.
Most of the deep fryers used in our homes are the models with lockable lids. This promotes safety in the kitchen and saves you the stress if wearing an astronaut suit to cook.
Having a non-stick interior is important given that it makes the cleaning process simpler. If you’ve ever owned a kitchen appliance with a sticky interior, you’ll understand how daunting a task it is to clean such appliances.
Important Things To Note
In this section of the article, we’d like to point out some very important things you should note. Your safety and the longevity of your deep fryer are important things you shouldn’t joke with.
- Keep an oil thermometer standby.
Oil thermometers are useful thermometers designed for the sole purpose of checking the temperature of cooking oils. If you use a deep fryer which has an automatic temperature system, having an external oil thermometer is a must.
Again, you should use an oil thermometer to crosscheck the temperature on the thermometer on your deep fryer.
Using an oil thermometer will help you in maintaining a constant oil temperature.
- 2. Use the right oil.
Considering the fact that there are different cooking oils available on the market, it’s important to use the right cooking oil. Each cooking oil has its own type of fat as well as the level of fat in it.
Again, they also have different tastes. These things can have a varying effect on the taste of your food when you’re done frying. Peanut oil, canola oil, and avocado oil are great examples.
We suggest using a refined oil which can handle high temperatures before reaching its smoke point. However, you can use any oil for sautéing. When you do this, please don’t allow the oil to get very hot.
And lest we forget, consider the fat content of the oils. Experts recommend avoiding oils with saturated fats. Instead, opt for the ones with mono-saturated fats.
When you’re done cooking, drain the oil from the fryer. However, if you use a deep fryer that is designed to store oil, you can leave the oil there – not for long periods though – and certainly not always.
Store the drained oil in a container which is properly covered to ensure that it doesn’t turn brown and smell rancid.
- 3. Clean properly.
Not all the parts of a deep fryer are dishwasher safe. For most dishwashers, only the baskets, oil container and lid are dishwasher safe.
Therefore, it is important to clean the parts that are not dishwasher safe properly using a dry cloth or one that is a little moist with soapy solution. Before putting them back together, ensure that they are all dry.
- 4. Don’t throw food into hot oil
Most of us know better – dropping food into a pot of hot oil is a recipe for a dangerous chemical reaction, literally. Use a scoop or the frying basket to add your food.
- 5. Don’t crowd food into the fryer.
Even though your fryer may have more than enough space for some extra food, don’t crowd food into it. Give the food enough space so that they don’t stick to themselves.
- 6. Don’t move a fryer full of hot oil.
This is a safety precaution you musts strictly adhere to for your own safety. Even if you’re in a hurry, allow the oil to cool down before moving it.
However, it the place where the deep fryer is kept full of hot oil will pose a threat to kids, then, you should move. Ensure that it is properly covered.
Fold a towel into a rectangle and pass it on top of the fryer and use it to hold the handle on both sides.
- 7. Filter your oil before storing it.
There’s a high chance that you’ll have a lot of oil left when you’re done cooking. Allow the oil to cook a bit before filtering it.
Some deep fryers come with their own oil filter which makes the process easier. If yours doesn’t come with one, don’t worry. Find a mesh sieve or a coffee filter – they’ll will serve the same purpose.
You can reuse the oil over and over again. However, when the oil begins to foam or turns dark brown and smells fish-like, it’s time to stop using it. This applies to those who intend to save money on cooking oil.
Don’t pour the oil you want to drain into your kitchen sink. Instead, you should pour it into a disposable container and throw the container itself into the trash can.
Which of the deep fryers we reviewed above caught your fancy? For us, the Secura budget deep fryer nailed it. Be sure to check the product manual of your deep fryer.
It contains hidden gems that may elongate the life of your fryer.